The Clarence Prize is a biennial, acquisitive exhibition that has found its niche within Australia’s art community as a prize that celebrates accessible and innovative furniture art. It is open to furniture designers and craftspeople operating within Australia. Held in the historic Rosny Barn, the Prize contributes to Tasmania’s reputation as a leading cultural hub, brimming with vibrant arts experiences.
Entries will be shortlisted based on the following criteria:
- Quality of aesthetic and craftsmanship
- Ingenuity in function, purpose, material considerations and sustainability
In 2020, one acquisitive prize of $20,000 will be awarded to the winner as selected by the judging panel. The work will be acquired into the Clarence Art Collection. One non-acquisitive prize of $1,500 will be awarded for a work that is highly commended by the judges. One non-acquisitive encouragement award of $1,500 will be made to an emerging designer as selected by the judging panel. Shortlisted interstate designers will be eligible to receive up to $500 towards shipping.
Entries Close: Midnight 22 May 2020. All entries are to be submitted electronically.
Shortlisted entrants notifed: 5 June 2020
Deliver Artworks: To the Rosny Barn between 11.00am and 5.00pm on Sunday 11, Monday 12 or Tuesday 13 October 2020
Official Opening and Prize announcements: 23 October 2020
Exhibition Dates: 24 October – 22 November 2020
ONLINE ENTRY FORM
Winner $20,000 acquisitive award – Hugh Altschwager, Bronze Bench. 2017
Highly commended award – Bernard Chandley, Lowbow Diner Chair. 2016
Emerging designer award – Nicholas Fuller, Voyage.2017
2015 Liam Mugavin (SA) Koto Light
2013 Laura McCusker (TAS) I-Beam Bench
2011 Simon Ancher (TAS) Clipped Wing Sideboard
2009 Fukutoshi Ueno (QLD) Dress Code Stools
2007 Sally Brown (TAS) Warp Bench
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
CLARENCE PRIZE 2020
- I declare that I am a resident of Australia.
- I have read the conditions detailed in this entry form and agree to abide by them.
- I declare that the work submitted for final exhibition will be original and will have been executed by me, or by a partnership in line with the conditions accompanying this entry form, in the 24 months prior to October 2020.
- Entries representing partnerships between individuals will be accepted on the understanding that each partner’s contribution is regarded as equal. Employees of Clarence City Council and members of their families are ineligible to enter the Prize.
- Any work to be included in the final exhibition shall not exceed 2.5m x 2.5m x 2.5m in any dimension and shall not exceed 150kg in weight.
- The judging panel will consider all entries and draw up a shortlist of those entrants who will be invited to submit work for the final exhibition. From these shortlisted works the three prize winners will be selected. All entrants will be notified of the first round judging results by 5th June 2020.
- I accept that the judging panel’s decision is final and that no correspondence will be entered into regarding these decisions.
- I understand the judging panel may decide that no prizes in any category be awarded if the work is not of a required standard, or if, in its judgment, other factors necessitate this action.
- I agree, if my work is selected for final exhibition, to take responsibility for the delivery of my work to and from the Rosny Barn on the dates nominated by Clarence City Council and that the insurance of work in transit to and from the Rosny Barn is the sole responsibility of the artist.
- All works must be delivered to the Rosny Barn between 11am and 5pm on Sunday 11th, Monday 12th or Tuesday 13th October 2020. Any special installation instructions must accompany the work on arrival at the Rosny Barn.
- Packaging shall be clearly labelled and easily reusable for the return of works. Works will be repacked according to the sender’s instructions with the original packaging.
- All artworks are insured by Clarence City Council during the exhibition. While all due care will be taken in the repackaging of work, Clarence City Council and/or their agents, will accept no liability for loss and/or damage during transit.
- I agree, if my work is selected for final exhibition, that this work may be reproduced in promotional material associated with the exhibition. Entrants selected for the final exhibition shall also consent to the reproduction of works for fair purposes associated with the Clarence Prize and Clarence City Council’s cultural programs. Clarence City Council reserves the right to reproduce the winning work in subsequent Clarence City Council promotional material.
- I understand that Clarence City Council reserves the right to decide the most appropriate method for displaying the work and that the Council reserves the right to refuse to display any works deemed inappropriate or unsafe for exhibition.
- The collection of works at the conclusion of the exhibition (except for that acquired by Clarence City Council) is the responsibility of the selected entrant.
- I acknowledge and agree that my work, if not collected and removed from the Rosny Barn within 30 days of the completion of the exhibition of the work, or as otherwise required by the Clarence City Council, may at the discretion of the Council, be sold and the financial proceeds of that sale may be retained by the Council for its own purposes.